LIFELINE BIBLE STUDY: PARABLE OF THE WINE IN THE WINE SKIN
Teacher: Pastor Femi Falana (PFF)
Memory verse: And no man putteth new wine into old bottle: else the new wine doth burst the bottle and wine is spilled and the bottles will be marred but new wine must be put into new bottles. Mark 2:22
Text: Luke 5:37-39
The new wine has its characteristics that differentiate it from the old wine. It is impossible for a person with the old nature, that is, Adamic nature to exhibit the nature of Christ at the same time. You can’t sew new cloth together with old cloth and there wouldn’t be difference.
Interpretation of the parable:
1. Old nature 2. Old character 3. Personal weakness. 4. Unbelief 5. Iniquities. 6. Filthiness. 7. Pollution. 8. Doubt.
Characteristics of the old wine
1. It has stayed long and so not fresh.
2. It is outdated.
3. It is fermented.
4. It is contaminated which makes it to be harmful.
5. It has lost its real taste.
1. New life 2. Nature and mind of Christ. 3. Freshness of the Holy Spirit. 4. Newness of mind. 5. The fruit of the Holy Spirit. 6. Fresh Fire and Power.
Characteristics of the new wine
1. It is fresh and new.
2. It still has its original taste.
3. It is more reliable and recent.
4. It has no impurity
5. It refreshes and nourishes.
1. The vessel 2Tim 2:20
2. Human body
Characteristics of the wine skin
1. It is a vessel or container in which wine is kept.
2. It can house both old and new wine.
How to prepare a vessel for the new wine.
1. Purge yourself 2Tim 2:20-21
2. CONTINUOUSLY get rid of the old nature
3. Fill yourself CONTINUOUSLY with the Holy Spirit.
Lessons to Learn:
1. You cannot serve two masters i.e God and mammon Matt 6:24
2. Light and darkness cannot coexist.
3. You cannot be cold and hot at the same time. Rev 3:16
4. When the old wine is removed, honour is inevitable. 2Tim 2:21
5. It is a tragedy and dangerous for one to put the old wine and the new wine together.
6. When the wine skin is purged, a new wine comes in.
The Holy Spirit cannot enter into a polluted human temple until it is first cleansed. The old nature and the nature of Christ cannot go together. 2 Cor 5:17.