OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL…
DATE: SATURDAY 10TH SEPTEMBER 2016
THEME: YOU NEED ENCOURAGEMENT
“These things I have spoken unto you, that in me ye might have peace. In the world ye shall have tribulation: but be of good cheer; I have overcome the world.”
Read: 1 Kings 19:1-6
19:1. And Ahab told Jezebel all that Elijah had done, and withal how he had slain all the prophets with the sword.
19:2. Then Jezebel sent a messenger unto Elijah, saying, So let the gods do to me, and more also, if I make not thy life as the life of one of them by to morrow about this time.
19:3. And when he saw that, he arose, and went for his life, and came to Beersheba, which belongeth to Judah, and left his servant there.
19:4. But he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree: and he requested for himself that he might die; and said, It is enough; now, O LORD, take away my life; for I am not better than my fathers.
19:5. And as he lay and slept under a juniper tree, behold, then an angel touched him, and said unto him, Arise and eat.
19:6. And he looked, and, behold, there was a cake baken on the coals, and a cruse of water at his head. And he did eat and drink, and laid him down again.
A. Based on human experience, life is generally believed to be hard, laborious, burdensome, and full of sorrow.
1. A combination of several factors may be responsible for the dilemma faced by human beings.
2. First among these factors is recorded in Revelation 12:12: “…Woe to the inhabiters of the earth and of the sea! for the devil is come down unto you, having great wrath…”
3. And 1 Peter 5:8 followed up by saying “…your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:”
4. Furthermore, Genesis 3:17 says, “…Cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;”
5. The implication of these passages on unregenerate human beings is so great that Job 14:1 had to say, “Man that is born of a woman is of few days and full of trouble.”
B. When a higher authority such as marriage, parenthood, civil or spiritual leadership is added to the ordinary troubles of life, the result is better imagined than experienced.
1. For the above reasons, every human being needs divine encouragement and support daily.
2. In the Name that is above all other names, beginning from today, you will receive divine support and encouragement to carry on in life in Jesus’ Name. Amen!
3. Indeed, God Promises continual support for his people, particularly when they become weary, depressed or disillusioned.
4. Several passages of The Bible affirmed God’s encouragement for His children.
5. Moses, Joshua, Abraham, David, kings and prophets of Israel, our fathers and mothers of faith were not abandoned at critical moments in their lives.
6. God was always there to give the required support and encouragement when it mattered most.
7. This could be seen clearly in God’s pronouncement in Isaiah 41:10 that says, “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.”
C. However, Bible records show that we have a responsibility to carry out in order to merit God’s encouragement.
1. You must first be born again and make meditation on The Word of God a habit
2. Joshua 1:8-9″ This Book of The Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”
3. Then you must invite The Holy Spirit Who is The Counsellor, into your life.
4. Thereafter, you will begin to experience God’s Encouragement.
5. Isaiah 40:30-31, says that God’s Encouragement brings renewed strength and an ability to do exploit.
6. This is the secret of my success as The General overseer of The RCCG. I enjoy tremendous support and encouragement from the Almighty God always.
7. It is only by His Support and Encouragement that any man can succeed.
Father, please encourage and support me so that I may fulfill my destiny in Jesus’ Name. Amen!
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
AUTHOR: PASTOR E. A. ADEBOYE
HYMN: HO MY COMRADES!
1 Ho! my comrades, see the signal,
Waving in the sky!
Reinforcements now appearing,
Victory is nigh!
“Hold the fort, for I am coming,”
Jesus signals still,
Wave the answer back to Heaven,
“By Thy grace we will.”
2. See the mighty host advancing,
Satan leading on;
Mighty men around us falling,
Courage almost gone. [Refrain]
3. See the glorious banner waving,
Hear the bugle blow;
In our Leader’s Name we triumph
Over every foe. [Refrain]
4. Fierce and long the battle rages,
But our help is near;
Onward comes our great Commander,
Cheer, my comrades, cheer! [Refrain]
EMMANUEL=GOD WITH US!