OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL…
DATE : SUNDAY 16 OCTOBER 2016
THEME : I KNOW YOUR WORKS I
Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou has left thy first love. Revelation 2:4
Read: Revelations 2:1-5, (KJV)
1. Unto The Angel of The Church of Ephesus write; These things saith He that holdeth the seven stars in His Right Hand, Who walketh in The midst of The Seven Golden Candlesticks;
2. I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars:
3. And hast borne, and hast patience, and for My Name’s sake hast laboured, and hast not fainted.
4. Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left Thy First Love.
5. Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.
A. Many people think of a high level of sin and crime when we talk of backsliding, whereas to backslide does not require going into heinous sins as some erroneously think.
1. What is backsliding? Simply defined, backsliding is failure to do the good things you were doing before.
2. James 4:17says: “Therefore to him that knoweth to do good, and doeth it not, to him it is sin.”
3. It becomes a serious matter when you have started doing a good work and you stop doing it; that is backsliding in its practical form.
4. This was the situation in The Church at Ephesus.
5. The Lord Commended their labour, their patience and their zero tolerance for evil.
6. The Lord also knew how careful they were in scrutinizing and distinguishing between True and false apostles.
7. In other words, they did not take any message in The Name of The Lord if they were not persuaded in The Holy Ghost about its authenticity.
8. They held fast the faith, labouring to defend it without compromise.
9. However, The Lord had something against them; they had left their first love.
10. As a Christian, where is your first love? Is it still intact or have you left it for the theology of relativism?
11. Is the end justifying the means of your livelihood?
12. Your Church is swelling up in attendance after you compromised the faith.
13. Those who you could not tolerate on God’s Altar are those that are frequently invited.
14. Those singers that you could never allow near God’s sanctuary are those who now frequently “minister” in songs to your congregation.
15. Where is your first love?
16. The Master in Revelation 2:5 is saying: “Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of His place, except thou repent.”
B. In the past, Christians didn’t walk in the counsel of the ungodly.
1. They didn’t stand where sinners stood, and they didn’t sit at the forum of the scornful (Psalms 1:1).
2. Nowadays, Christians promote and applaud jesting and ungodly jokes.
3. We seem to have forgotten that not only doers will be punished but also those who love the doers.
4. Romans 1:28, 32 says: “…Who knowing The Judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them.”
5. Beloved, we should never allow our love for Christ go cold.
6. Let us go back to Our First Love and be ready to suffer fleshy loss so that we can ultimately win Christ.
Father, please forgive me in anyway I have Backslidden and Restore me to My First Love for You and Your Kingdom In The Name of Jesus. Amen!
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR : Daniel 11-12 and Psalms 79
AUTHOR: Pastor E. A ADEBOYE
HYMN: TAKE MY LIFE AND LET IT BE
1. Take my life, and let it be
Consecrated, Lord, to Thee;
Take my moments and my days,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise,
Let them flow in ceaseless praise.
2. Take my hands, and let them move
At the impulse of Thy love;
Take my feet and let them be
Swift and beautiful for Thee,
Swift and beautiful for Thee.
3. Take my voice, and let me sing
Always, only, for my King;
Take my lips, and let them be
Filled with messages from Thee,
Filled with messages from Thee.
4. Take my silver and my gold;
Not a mite would I withhold;
Take my intellect, and use
Every power as Thou shalt choose,
Every power as Thou shalt choose.
5. Take my will, and make it Thine;
It shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart; it is Thine own;
It shall be Thy royal throne,
It shall be Thy royal throne.
6. Take my love; my Lord, I pour
At Thy feet its treasure-store.
Take myself, and I will be
Ever, only, all for Thee,
Ever, only, all for Thee.
EMMANUEL=GOD WITH US!