OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL
DATE: SATURDAY 7 JANUARY 2017
THEME: BE THOU PERFECT!
Be ye therefore perfect, even as Your Father which is in Heaven is Perfect.” Matthew 5:48
Read: Genesis 17:1-9 (KJV)
1. And when Abram was ninety years old and nine, The Lord appeared to Abram, and said unto him, I Am The Almighty God; walk before me, and be thou perfect.
2. And I will make My Covenant between Me and thee, and will multiply thee exceedingly.
3. And Abram fell on his face: and God talked with him, saying,
4. As for me, behold, My Covenant is with thee, and thou shalt be a father of many nations.
5. Neither shall thy name any more be called Abram, but thy name shall be Abraham; for a father of many nations have I made thee.
6. And I will make thee exceeding fruitful, and I will make nations of thee, and kings shall come out of thee.
7. And I will establish My Covenant between me and thee and thy seed after thee in their generations for An Everlasting Covenant, to be a God unto thee, and to thy seed after thee.
8. And I will give unto thee, and to thy seed after thee, the land wherein thou art a stranger, all the land of Canaan, for An Everlasting Possession; and I will be Their God.
9. And God said unto Abraham, Thou shalt keep my covenant therefore, thou, and thy seed after thee in their generations.
A. There are many misconceptions about God’s demand for perfection.
1. These misconceptions have led some people to erroneously conclude that perfection is an unrealistic aim in the Christian walk, and should therefore be abandoned.
2. To debunk this line of thought, Our Lord Jesus Christ in today’s memory verse re-echoes His Father’s demand for our perfection.
3. My prayer is that The Power of God will come upon you today, and you will begin to live in perfection as God demands in Jesus’ Name. Amen!
B. Why do people see God’s demand for our perfection as being unattainable?
1. It’s because they think that perfection is to be attained by our strength.
2. However, the truth of the matter is this: if man did not create himself but came to existence through the power and wisdom of God, by this same wisdom and power, God will help him to meet His demands.
3. The problem with such people is unbelief.
4. For this reason, the Bible in Hebrews 11:6 says: “But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.”
C. Unbelief breeds disobedience.
1. The case of the first man and woman shows this.
2. They fell into imperfection through their unbelief in the efficacy and infallibility of God’s word!
3. This is in contrast to Abraham, of whom God also demanded perfection, who responded to God’s demand in faith.
4. This is why the Scripture say this about him: “Even as Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” Galatians 3:6
5. From God’s point of view, perfection is total obedience to His instructions in faith.
6. You are perfect if you obey what God asks you to do, even if it seems illogical or is politically incorrect.
7. Obedience in faith brings justification, which is the key to perfection.
D. Do you find yourself in a state of unbelief?
1. Are you one of those who don’t believe perfection is attainable?
2. If you are, you must pray today like the man whose child was tormented by the devils in Mark 9:24: “And straightway the father of the child cried out, and said with tears, Lord, I believe; help Thou mine unbelief.”
The Spirit of Jesus Christ helps us into perfection. Therefore, accept Jesus today and ask Him to give you His Spirit, and His Spirit will make you perfect in The Name of Jesus. Amen!
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR : Matthew 14-5 and Isaiah 5:24-6:7,
AUTHOR: Pastor E. A ADEBOYE
HYMN 6: DEEPER, DEEPER
1. Deeper, deeper in the love of Jesus
Daily let me go;
Higher, higher in the school of wisdom,
More of grace to know.
O deeper yet, I pray,
And higher every day,
And wiser, blessed Lord,
In Thy precious, holy Word.
2. Deeper, deeper, blessed Holy Spirit,
Take me deeper still,
Till my life is wholly lost in Jesus,
And His perfect will.
3. Deeper, deeper! though it cost hard trials,
Deeper let me go!
Rooted in the holy love of Jesus,
Let me fruitful grow.
4. Deeper, higher, every day in Jesus,
Till all conflict past,
Finds me conqu’ror, and in His own image
Perfected at last.
5. Deeper, deeper in the faith of Jesus,
Holy faith and true;
In His pow’r and soul exulting wisdom
Let me peace pursue.
EMMANUEL=GOD WITH US!