OPEN HEAVENS DAILY DEVOTIONAL
DATE: SATURDAY 18TH FEBRUARY 2017
THEME: FAITH IN PRACTICE
“For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also. James 2:26
READ: JAMES 2:14-26
2:14 What doth it profit, my brethren, though a man say he hath faith, and have not works? can faith save him?
2:15 If a brother or sister be naked, and destitute of daily food,
2:16 And one of you say unto them, Depart in peace, be ye warmed and filled; notwithstanding ye give them not those things which are needful to the body; what doth it profit?
2:17 Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
2:18 Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.
2:19 Thou believest that there is one God; thou doest well: the devils also believe, and tremble.
2:20 But wilt thou know, O vain man, that faith without works is dead?
2:21 Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar?
2:22 Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect?
2:23 And the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.
2:24 Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only.
2:25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?
2:26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
A. One common error in Christendom today is to think that it is Scriptural to confess your way to success without backing up such confessions with works.
1. Faith in practice is actually the opposite of this.
2. It is not just about confessing scriptures, but about acting it out when confronted with real life circumstances and situations.
3. Faith in practice is what produces The Miracle-working Power of God.
4. In contrast of faith, unbelief upsets God and we must all run away from it.
5. The children of Israel could not enter into The Promised Land because of unbelief.
6. Hebrews 3:19 “So we see that they could not enter in because of unbelief.”
7. In Mark 2:1-12, a paralytic man was brought before Jesus by four men who broke the roof of a house to get him there. This was faith in practice.
8. They were practically saying to all the forces and situations surrounding this man’s life that they were ready to get injured while climbing and nothing would stop them.
9. They were also ready to take up the financial burden of damaging and repairing the roof of a house that was not theirs.
10. They did all this because they knew that the challenges facing them were nothing when compared with the blessedness of having their paralytic friend receive his miracle.
11. There are people who have many different versions of The Bible in their homes but do not practice the faith they read in it.
12. Some even possess a PhD in the study of the Bible but still have no faith.
13. This is because they read and study it, but they don’t apply its content to their lives.
B. Some years back, we went to Haiti to hold a city-wide crusade, and we were blessed to have a live broadcast of it on radio.
1. There was a man just lying on a bed in his house who accidentally tuned his radio to the station airing our programme.
2. In the course of preaching, The Lord said to me that there was someone within the reach of my voice who was impotent and that He was healing him right away.
3. I relayed this message as I was told.
4. When this man heard it, he said to himself, ”How did this Pastor know that I am impotent even though He cannot see me?”
5. He immediately checked himself and realised he had been completely healed.
6. He then left all he was doing, found his way to the crusade ground and surrendered his life to Jesus.
7. If only you can believe and act on what God says, you also will share your own testimony in Jesus’ Name. Amen!
8. Who are the Goliaths harassing you? Consider that Goliath came to the battle with a sword, spear and shield, while David came in the Name of the Lord of hosts.
9. 1 Samuel 17:45 “Then David said to the Philistine, “You come to me with a sword, with a spear, and with a javelin. But I come to you in The Name of The Lord of Hosts, The God of the armies of Israel, Whom you have defied.”
10. Although David challenged Goliath with his mouth, he did not stop there. He picked up five smooth stones, not just one.
11. 1 Samuel 17:40 “Then he took his staff in his hand; and he chose for himself five smooth stones from the brook, and put them in a shepherd’s bag, in a pouch which he had, and his sling was in his hand. And he drew near to the Philistine.).”
12. Even though one stone was enough to bring down Goliath, David did not take chances.
13. That is faith in practice.
14. I decree that every Goliath that is standing between you and your miracles shall be brought down completely in Jesus’ Name. Amen!
Faith is acting on The Word of God.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
AUTHOR: PASTOR E. A. ADEBOYE
HYMN: MY FAITH LOOKS UP TO THEE
1: My faith looks up to Thee,
Thou Lamb of Calvary,
Now hear me while I pray;
Take all my guilt away;
Oh, let me from this day
Be wholly Thine.
2: May Thy rich grace impart
Strength to my fainting heart,
My zeal inspire;
As Thou hast died for me,
Oh, may my love to Thee
Pure, warm, and changeless be,
A living fire.
3:While life’s dark maze I tread,
And griefs around me spread,
Be Thou my Guide;
Bid darkness turn to day,
Wipe sorrow’s tears away,
Nor let me ever stray
From Thee aside.
4: When life’s swift race is run,
Death’s cold work almost done,
Be near to me.
Blest Saviour, then, in love
Fear and distrust remove.
O bear me safe above,
Redeemed and free!
EMMANUEL=GOD WITH US!