OPEN HEAVEN DAILY DEVOTIONAL
DATE: SATURDAY 25 FEBRUARY 2017
“It is a good thing to give thanks unto The LORD, and to sing praises unto Thy Name, O most High:” Psalms 92:1
Read: 1 Samuel 25:4-17
4. And David heard in the wilderness that Nabal did shear his sheep.
5. And David sent out ten young men, and David said unto the young men, Get you up to Carmel, and go to Nabal, and greet him in my name:
6. And thus shall ye say to him that liveth in prosperity, Peace be both to thee, and peace be to thine house, and peace be unto all that thou hast.
7. And now I have heard that thou hast shearers: now thy shepherds which were with us, we hurt them not, neither was there ought missing unto them, all the while they were in Carmel.
8. Ask thy young men, and they will shew thee. Wherefore let the young men find favour in thine eyes: for we come in a good day: give, I pray thee, whatsoever cometh to thine hand unto thy servants, and to thy son David.
9. And when David’s young men came, they spake to Nabal according to all those words in the name of David, and ceased.
10. And Nabal answered David’s servants, and said, Who is David? and who is the son of Jesse? there be many servants now a days that break away every man from his master.
11. Shall I then take my bread, and my water, and my flesh that I have killed for my shearers, and give it unto men, whom I know not whence they be?
12. So David’s young men turned their way, and went again, and came and told him all those sayings.
13. And David said unto his men, Gird ye on every man his sword. And they girded on every man his sword; and David also girded on his sword: and there went up after David about four hundred men; and two hundred abode by the stuff.
14. But one of the young men told Abigail, Nabal’s wife, saying, Behold, David sent messengers out of the wilderness to salute our master; and he railed on them.
15. But the men were very good unto us, and we were not hurt, neither missed we any thing, as long as we were conversant with them, when we were in the fields:
16. They were a wall unto us both by night and day, all the while we were with them keeping the sheep.
17. Now therefore know and consider what thou wilt do; for evil is determined against our master, and against all his household: for he is such a son of Belial, that a man cannot speak to him.
A. God plays a prominent role in every successful endeavour.
1. Lamentations 3:37 “Who is he who speaks and it comes to pass, When The Lord has not commanded it?”
2. No human effort would suffice if God is not involved.
3. Psalms 127:1
4. PSALM 127 “Unless The Lord builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the Lord guards the city, The watchman stays awake in vain.”
5. This is why you need to be grateful to God for every achievement you experience.
6. Nabal, his household and everyone around him lived in prosperity.
7. In spite of all the battles raging around them, Nabal’s workers were all secure and his goods intact.
8. He enjoyed safety and prosperity because the men of David’s hand shielded him and all he had from attacks.
9. At a crucial point, David and his men needed his help in providing food for their sustenance, but he denied them this.
10. He disdained David and his men because he saw them as misfits and fugitives who did not deserve his generosity.
B. Many children of God also feel this way when they are asked to give.
1. Some people disdain God each time they are asked to give offerings to Him.
2. They wonder why they have to give 10% of their profit or income to God.
3. They see this as irrational.
4. Yes, irrational minds cannot see the faithfulness of God.
5. We should be grateful to God, and our gratitude should be expressed through our actions to Him and to our fellow men.
6. Every time we bless others with our possessions out of a sincere heart, we are saying to God that we are grateful He made us A Channel of Blessing.
C. You can move God to do more for you through the heart of gratitude.
1. Those who show gratitude to God achieve significant things in life.
2. Solomon showed his gratitude to God through his offerings (1 Kings 3:3-15).
3. He remembered and reflected on all the intrigues and battles that led to his emergence as king, and he was moved to give thanks.
4. Also, King David was so grateful to God that he expressed it in his dance, to the point where he was disdained.
5. 2 Samuel 6:16 “Now as the ark of the Lord came into the City of David, Michal, Saul’s daughter, looked through a window and saw King David leaping and whirling before the Lord; and she despised him in her heart.”
6. He forgot he was a king, because he was demonstrating his gratitude to the King of kings.
7. For those with a heart of gratitude to God, when things are working, they praise God, and when things are not going in the direction they envisaged, they still praise God, knowing well that the faithfulness of God will never allow them to suffer loss.
8. Are you surrounded by enemies you can’t number? Don’t be troubled.
9. Trust in The Lord, and you will see His salvation.
10. Are you going through situations that you can’t see yourself overcoming? Put your trust in God, and you will have total victory.
11. Just take the step of faith and begin to bless The Name of The Lord.
12. Even if a sack letter from your job was handed over to you yesterday, just begin to bless The Lord because something awesome is about to happen to you, and the world will hear your testimony.
With a heart of gratitude to God, count your Blessings and name them one by one.
BIBLE IN ONE YEAR : Genesis 19-20 and Isaiah 44:21-45:13
AUTHOR: PASTOR E. A. ADEBOYE
HYMN: COUNT YOUR BLESSINGS
1. When upon life’s billows you are tempest-tossed,
When you are discouraged, thinking all is lost,
Count your many blessings; name them one by one,
And it will surprise you what the Lord has done.
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
Count your blessings;
See What God Has done
Count your blessings;
Name them one by one.
And it will surprise you what the Lord hath done.
2. Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
Count your many blessings; ev’ry doubt will fly,
And you will be singing as the days go by.
3. When you look at others with their lands and gold,
Think that Christ has promised you his wealth untold.
Count your many blessings; money cannot buy
Your reward in heaven nor your home on high.
4. So amid the conflict, whether great or small,
Do not be discouraged; God is over all.
Count your many blessings; angels will attend,
Help and comfort give you to your journey’s end.
EMMANUEL =GOD WITH US!